USCGC Cook Inlet (WAVP-384), later WHEC-384, was a Casco-class United States Coast Guard cutter in service from 1949 to 1971.
Cook Inlet began life as the United States Navy Barnegat-class seaplane tender USS Cook Inlet (AVP-36). She was laid down on 23 August 1943 by Lake Washington Shipyard at Houghton, Washington, launched on 13 May 1944, and commissioned into the U.S. Navy on 5 November 1944. She served in the Central Pacific during World War II, including in the Iwo Jima campaign, and on occupation duty in Japan and Korea postwar. She was decommissioned on 31 March 1946 and placed in reserve at Alameda, California.
Cook Inlet's home port was Portland, Maine, throughout her entire Coast Guard career. She served in the Atlantic Ocean, where her primary duty was to serve on ocean stations to gather meteorological data. While on duty in one of these stations, she was required to patrol a 210-square-mile (544-square-kilometer) area for three weeks at a time, leaving the area only when physically relieved by another Coast Guard cutter or in the case of a dire emergency. While on station, she acted as an aircraft check point at the point of no return, a relay point for messages from ships and aircraft, as a source of the latest weather information for passing aircraft, as a floating oceanographic laboratory, and as a search-and-rescue ship for downed aircraft and vessels in distress, and engaged in law enforcement operations.
Cook Inlet was assigned to Coast Guard Squadron Three in Vietnam on 2 July 1971. Coast Guard Squadron Three was tasked to operate in conjunction with U.S. Navy forces in Operation Market Time, the interdiction of communist coastal arms and munitions traffic along the coastline of Vietnam during the Vietnam War. The squadron's other Vietnam War duties included fire support for ground forces, resupplying Coast Guard and Navy patrol boats, and search-and-rescue operations. Cook Inlet served in this capacity until 21 December 1971.