The S.V. Spray was a 36-foot-9-inch (11.20 m) oyster sloop rebuilt by Joshua Slocum and used by him to sail single-handed around the world, the first voyage of its kind. The Spray was lost with Captain Slocum aboard in 1909, while sailing from Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts, on the island of Martha's Vineyard, to South Ame.
In 1892, a friend, Captain Eben Pierce, offered Slocum a ship that "wants some repairs". Slocum went to Fairhaven, Massachusetts to find that the "ship" was a rotting old oyster sloop named Spray, propped-up in a field. Despite the major overhaul of the ship, Slocum kept her name "Spray", noting, "Now, it is a law in Lloyd's that the Jane repaired all out of the old until she is entirely new is still the Jane."
Its days as a fishing boat, probably as a Chesapeake Bay oysterman, had come to an end by 1885, and it was a derelict, a slowly-deteriorating hulk sitting in a makeshift ship's-cradle in a seaside meadow on Poverty Point in Fairhaven, Massachusetts, when Captain Eben Pierce of that town offered it to Joshua Slocum as a gift. Slocum came to Fairhaven to look at the Spray (sorry sight that it was), and he undertook to repair and refit it over the next thirteen months.
In Port Angosto, Strait of Magellan, the Spray was re-rigged as a yawl by adding a jibber.