USS Muliphen (AKA-61/LKA-61) was an Andromeda-class attack cargo ship named after Muliphen, a star in the constellation Canis Major.
Muliphen was laid down under Maritime Commission contract on 13 May 1944 by Federal Shipbuilding and Drydock Co., Kearny, N.J., launched on 26 August 1944, sponsored by Mrs. John Hascock, acquired by the Navy on 21 October 1944, and commissioned on 23 October 1944, Lt. Comdr. Walter W. Williamson in command.
Following shakedown in Chesapeake Bay, Muliphen sailed on 1 December 1944 to operate with the Fleet Sonar School, Key West, Florida. On 14 December, she steamed for the Pacific where she joined Transport Division 43 off Pearl Harbor, and sailed to prepare for the invasion of Iwo Jima at Eniwetok, arriving on 5 February 1945. Muliphen arrived off Iwo Jima on 19 February, unloaded until 4 March, then retired to Saipan.
Serving with the Naval Transportation Service, for the next four years she carried men and supplies to Asiatic and Pacific ports, and supplied Point Barrow, Alaska in 1946 and 1947.
In 1950 Muliphen transferred to the Atlantic Fleet Amphibious Amphibious Force, based at Norfolk. The following decade she rotated in a steady schedule of Caribbean and Mediterranean deployments. In 1958 she participated in the amphibious landings at Beirut, Lebanon, when a prompt response by the 6th Fleet prevented Communist subversion of Lebanon's government. Continuing similar duty in the 1960s, she also took part in NATO exercises and the training of Naval Academy midshipmen.
On 1 January 1969, Muliphen was redesignated LKA-61.