LST-776 was laid down on 7 May 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 17 June 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Douglas Pinquely; and commissioned on 20 July 1944, Lt. J. D. Copeland, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-776 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Iwo Jima in March 1945 and the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in March and April 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-October 1945. The ship returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 18 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 1 May that same year. On 17 January 1947, the tank landing ship was sold to Compania Naviera y Commercial Perez Compano, Buenos Aires, Argentina, for operation.
LST-776 earned two battle stars for World War II service.