LST-223 was laid down on 31 March 1943 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 24 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. George S. Trees; and commissioned on 17 September 1943, Lt. Thomas S. Moulton, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-223 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Capture and occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls—January and February 1944
Capture and occupation of Saipan—June 1944
Leyte landings—October and November 1944
Following the war, LST-223 performed occupation duty in the Far East until November 1945. On 15 September 1945, the ship was redesignated LSTH-223. She was transferred to the State Department for disposal on 13 March 1947.
LST-223 earned three battle stars for World War II service.